The Local Government Training Initiative
The Golden LEAF Local Government Training Initiative helps North Carolina’s qualifying local governments invest in their mid and entry level talent. The Initiative offers three categories of professional development opportunities.
- Fundamental and Advanced Supervisory Training: Being a supervisor in local government today is more challenging than ever. The Center’s highly participatory week-long courses equip both new and experienced supervisors for success in public service leadership. Courses provide management and supervisory competencies needed to lead public departments and teams effectively and efficiently. The Initiative will host three sessions annually specifically for participants from qualifying counties.
- Individual Scholarships for Open Enrollment Courses: The UNC School of Government holds over 200 open enrollment continuing education courses every year. Qualifying local governments can receive scholarships to enroll employees and elected leaders at reduced rates. Scholarships will be applied at registration on a course-by-course basis, allowing participants to structure a professional development pathway to fit their specific needs.
- Organizational Scholarships for Customized Training: Local governments often have unique needs that require customized solutions. Organizational scholarships pair School of Government faculty members with qualifying local governments to develop and deliver practical, customized training to target their team’s specific needs. Organizational scholarships are granted on an application basis to local governments that demonstrate a clear and concrete need. Check here for more information on organizational scholarships.
The Initiative will be open to municipal and county governments in Tier One counties across the state – those specified by the North Carolina Department of Commerce’s 2020, 2021, and 2022 County Distress Rankings. Check here for a current list of qualifying counties. Eligible individuals in these counties include:
- Mid and entry level public professionals – those working at the department director level and below.
- Local elected leaders from municipalities with mayor-council forms of government. Check here for a list of qualifying municipalities.
For More Information
Sign up for the Golden LEAF Local Government Training Initiative mailing list to receive additional information and announcements about upcoming courses and scholarship opportunities, check our Frequently Asked Questions, or contact us with questions about how your local government can participate.